This guide can help you get past roadblocks if your Facebook or Instagram channel becomes disconnected, if we can't find a specific Facebook Page or group you're trying to connect, or if you encounter an "unknown" error or any permissions errors.
This article contains the following sections:
- Checking your admin status
- Checking Facebook permissions
- Removing StoryChief from Facebook and reauthorizing the connection
Checking your admin status
First, we’ll need to make sure your personal Facebook profile is an admin on the Facebook Page you want to connect or that is linked to the Instagram channel you want to connect.
- Head over to Facebook and navigate to the list of Pages you have access to (or click this link). Click on the Page/Group you want to view.
- Once you're in your Page/Group, click Settings in the left hand sidebar.
- Click Page roles on the left hand side.
- You’ll need to see your own personal profile listed as an admin under the "Existing Page roles" section, as shown below.
Only admins are able to authorize the connection. If you are not, ask the admin to grant you the admin role or ask them to connect the Facebook/Instagram channel instead.
🔔 Note: It is not possible to connect a Facebook Page if you are an admin through inheritance from a parent Page, labeled "Admin (inherited from parent Page)".
🔔 Note: Facebook also supports Groups from Pages. If you're looking to connect a Group that is owned by a Page, you'll still need to make sure that your personal Facebook Profile is set up as an Admin. You can do so by first making sure you are "acting" as the Fanpage. Then you can add your personal profile as admin.
If you see that you are an admin then continue to the section below to check the permissions.
Checking Facebook permissions
Permissions are a common reason for connection issues and “unknown” errors when sending posts. Follow these steps to get things back on track.
- Log into the Facebook personal profile that is an admin on the Facebook Page/Group.
- Click on the small drop down arrow at the top right of your screen and then click Settings & privacy > Settings. From there, click Business integrations on the left hand side (or click this link).
- Find StoryChief in the list of integrations and click View and edit.
- In the pop up window, we need to ensure that all Facebook Pages are checked in all sections.
- After selecting all Pages, click Save.
Now try connecting your Facebook/Instagram channel again. You can also retry any failed posts. If you still see errors, please reauthorize your connection, following the steps below.
Removing StoryChief from Business Integrations in Facebook and reauthorizing the connection
Sometimes StoryChief will need to be removed from Business Integrations in Facebook in order for you to re-establish the connection.
🔔 Note: This will disconnect any existing Facebook and Instagram channels you have connected and those will need to be reconnected. These steps only re-establish your connection and do not remove any posts already scheduled.
- In Facebook, click on the small drop down arrow at the top right of your screen and then click Settings & privacy > Settings. From there, click Business integrations on the left hand side (or click this link).
- You should see StoryChief listed in the integrations area. This will need to be removed in order to continue. Tick the check box and then click Remove.
- A window will pop up asking if you want to remove StoryChief with a check box at the bottom. Leave both check boxes unticked and then click Remove.
- Then, head back over to StoryChief and try your connecting the channel again. Please be sure to accept all permissions and all Pages (even Pages not connected to StoryChief) during the authorization process.